6.25.2013

Strawberry Rhubarb Bars

Jam. Pie. Bars. Vodka slushies. Around this time of year when I was growing up, there was always some sort of strawberry rhubarb treat sitting around. I remember going with my Grandma Gloria to a friends house who had rhubarb coming out of her ears. The plant and stalks were big and thick and I would have to pull so hard that eventually when I unearthed it, I would go reeling backwards and fall on my butt.

Now, I waddle that same butt down to the local farmers market. Where it's all cut and trimmed for me. Not quite the same...but, the end result is still pretty damned tasty.

Case in point: Strawberry Rhubarb Bars. The recipe below is from Amandeleine. While there's plenty of strawberry rhubarb bar recipes out there, I chose this one for one reason: she tied them to the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. No reason to waste any more time looking for strawberry rhubarb recipes. I can now focus on the vodka slushie ones.

This bar has a pie-like bottom layer. Crumb like topping. And a delicious Greek yogurt/strawberry rhubarb middle layer. The only thing that's missing is some whipped cream or ice cream. And one of those slushies.






 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment