Yes, I am skipping Tuesdays with Dorie this week. No, this is not a Weight Watchers recipe. Yes, these are very tasty and extremely addictive. These will defintely be making a Cinco De Mayo appearance. I changed the recipe a bit. It asked for a sprinkling of colored sugar on the top, but I loved the taste from the margarita salt and used that instead.
adapted from Crushcakes Cupcakery
Makes 2 dozen
3 sticks (12 ounces) butter, softened
2 cups granulated sugar
4 large eggs, at room temperature, plus 1 large egg white
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 3/4 cups flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons salt
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons whole milk
Grated peel of 4 limes, plus 1/4 cup lime juice
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
2 tablespoons gold tequila
1 drop green food coloring
1. Preheat the oven to 350°. Line 2 cupcake pans with baking liners. Using an electric mixer, beat 2 sticks butter and the granulated sugar until creamy. Gradually beat in the eggs, egg white and oil. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and mix again.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and 1 teaspoon salt. In a large glass measuring cup, stir together the milk, 2 tablespoons lime juice and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract. On low speed, mix in one-third of the wet mixture, then one-third of the dry mixture. Repeat twice, ending with the dry mixture. Mix in half of the grated lime peel.
3. Fill each baking liner about three-quarters full with batter. Bake until the cupcakes spring back when gently touched, about 25 minutes. Let cool completely, about 30 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, using the electric mixer, beat the remaining 1 stick butter until creamy. Beat in 1 cup confectioners' sugar. Beat in the tequila, and the remaining 2 tablespoons lime juice, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, lime peel, 1 teaspoon salt and the food coloring until smooth and creamy. Beat in the remaining 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar one-third at a time, until just soft enough to spread.
5. Spread the frosting on the cooled cupcakes. Sprinkle with margarita salt and enjoy!
Posted by Jessi