9.28.2008

Grandma Bernie's Rustic Apple Bars

Growing up, one of my favorite things my grandma would bake is apple bars. This is the second time I have attempted to bake them...and was once again unsuccessful. I don't know how she does it. The dough is my big problem. Now that I think about it, I've never actually watched her make these. They were always just around when I visited. I am beginning to think she got them from the bakery.

Don't get me wrong, the bars you see above taste just like hers. I had major problems with the dough. I actually ended up almost doubling the crust recipe below. Also, it didn't roll out well and was nearly impossible to get in one piece on top of the pan.

Grandma Bernie's apple bars are not rustic. The top crust is smooth, neat and perfect. Mine, however, was all ripped up. I prefer to call it rustic.

Apple Bars
Recipe from my Grandma Bernie

Crust:
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
1 cup shortening
milk as needed
1 egg yolk beaten

1. Sift together flour and salt.



2. Cut in shortening until crumbly.

3. Add enough milk to egg yolk to make 1/2 cup. At this point, if you need to run to the store to get milk, go ahead. Not that I would know. The Vanilla Bean kitchen is always stocked with the essentials.


4. Add milk/egg to flour mixture blending until moistened. Divide dough almost in half making one section a bit larger than the other. Roll out larger portion and cover bottom and sides of pan of l-inch jelly roll pan with dough.



Filling:
1 cup of crushed cornflakes
8 large apples pared and sliced
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 egg white, beaten

1. Sprinkle crust with cornflake crumbs. Arrange apple slices over top.

2. Combine sugar and cinnamon, sprinkle over apples.

3. Roll out remaining dough and fit over top of apples. Or patch together pieces like I did, for a more rustic look.



4. Moisten edges of dough with water. Seal. Brush with stiffly beaten egg whites.

5. Bake at 375 degrees for 1 hour or until golden brown.

Frosting
Mix together
1 cup powdered sugar
3 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon vanilla

Spread over bars while bars are still warm. Serve warm with ice cream or a cold glass of milk. These are great at room temperature, too.

Thanks for the recipe, Grandma!

1 comment:

  1. Too funny Jessi! They look good to me! I love your website and wish I could bake/cook like you.

    ReplyDelete