6.21.2013

Kickin' Off Summer

Summer is here! After much huffing and puffing, we are finally all moved in to our temporary place as we build our home. This will be the first weekend in months that we don't have yard work. Aren't packing, cleaning or prepping to sell the house. We somehow managed to smash a 4+ bedroom house into a 1 bedroom apt. (let's just say the garage is stuffed). 

Believe it or not, this was at the end of an 11-hour moving day!
This summer is all about getting to know the new community we're building in, New Town at St. Charles (I'll be talking more about that later). We lucked out and found an apartment within walking distance. The community is based on the principles of Traditional Neighborhood Design and New Urbanism. We can walk to the local market and post office. There's lakes, bike trails and tons of outdoor spaces to play. The restaurants and shops are all just a short walk or bike ride away. So, first up...

Operation Bike
Walking around on foot will get exhausting (just ask my sister)...so, we're in the market for something a little speedier. I have my eye this little guy:

Garden
We're a little late in the game, but we'll be getting a garden going this weekend. Because most of the yards in New Town are small, there's a community garden area where residents can rent raised garden beds. I've been a little addicted to Caprese Salads lately, so I can't wait to get my own tomatoes and basil growing.

Source
Outdoor Concert
Summer is all about outdoor concerts and New Town has monthly concerts in its amphitheater. On Saturday, we'll be packing up our cooler and heading on up for Jeff's favorite of the summer: reggae fest. And I plan on making one of my fave summer cocktails: a Spanish drink called Tinto de Verano (meaning red wine of summer). It's like sangria...but alot less work! Simply mix red wine and sparkling lemonade in a tall glass. Serve over ice and enjoy.


Source

Strawberry Rhubarb Bars
I grew up in MN. Where rhubarb is as abundant as the lakes. I was a little shocked to learn that Jeff has never tried it. I've been scouring Pinterest and have a list of strawberry rhubarb crisp/bars recipes to choose from.

Source
We're packing alot into the first weekend of summer...what's on your agenda?

No comments:

Post a Comment