9.25.2009

Teeny Tiny Potatoes (and other stuff)

You know when you see something and you just have to have it? It doesn't matter if you'll never use it. Or, in my case, you are cutting it out of your diet. It must be yours.

That's how it was when I spotted these: Teeny Tiny Potatoes at Trader Joe's. I actually cooed at them like they were a baby. If potatoes had cheeks, I would have pinched them. I had to have them. I wasn't going to eat them, but there was bound to be somebody at the house who would. In the very least, I could peek at them in the pantry every so often and think how cute they are.

As it turns out, they went perfectly with the Pork Chops with Apples and Thyme I had planned for dinner. Jeff thought they were just as cute as I did and gobble them up.

Pork Chops with Apples and Thyme
From Yahoo Foods
3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
2 teaspoons cornstarch
2 teaspoons canola oil
4 (4 ounce) boneless pork chops, 1/2 inch thick, trimmed of fat
1 small onion, sliced
1 tart apple, such as Granny Smith, peeled and sliced
1/4 cup apple cider or apple juice
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme

1) Mix 2 tablespoons broth and cornstarch in a small bowl.

2) Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add chops and cook until browned, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.

3) Reduce heat to medium-high and add onion to the pan. Cook, stirring often, until it starts to soften and brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Add apple and cook, stirring often, until tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in the remaining broth, cider (or juice), mustard, thyme and the cornstarch mixture. Bring to a boil, stirring, until thickened and glossy, about 1 minute. Return the chops to the pan and heat through. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment